Sunday, December 18, 2011

Sushi wow, Parramatta

Fried Moneybags $3

The last time I ate out at a sushi train with my friends was at J.J Sushi, more than two years ago- a day I remember quite well because we were supposed to be studying for exams, but instead spent shopping and eating. Though I happen to be in Parramatta a lot, I don't frequent this area much, so by the time I found out that J.J Sushi had been replaced, it had already been old news.

We decide to drop in here one afternoon, to see what the new restaurant is like. The whole restaurant has undergone a considerable amount of renovation, making its interior a lot more modern looking, though we notice the conveyor, the kitchen and plates are still the same as they used to be.

Seaweed Salad Sushi $2.50

It's also considerably busier, and by the time we arrive, the place is packed, making it difficult to seat our group of 4, especially as the restaurant is quite small in the first place. After a bit of waiting, and much apologising by the friendly staff, we eventually get to sit down on the sushi train,which is filled with plenty of choices. We start with the seaweed salad sushi, a simple favourite of ours, which is done well.


Chicken Katsu and Avocado Nigiri $3.50

With the amount of people eating here, the sushi conveyor is constantly refilled with new dishes, so that most of the fried foods are still warm when you get them, like the chicken katsu and avocado nigiri. The generously large piece of chicken katsu is nice and crispy and tastes great with the avocado and slightly sweet and tangy sauce.

Croquette $3

I'll be honest- I'm not completely sure what this is (which also happened to be the reason I took it), but since it's fried, made out of potato and veggies (mostly onion), croquette is the only thing I can think of ;) The croquette was quite soft, but was a little on the bland side, though that was easily fixed by pouring over the barbecue-like sauce over it!

Prawn Tempura Udon $6.50
 
 Whilst the prices are quite cheap for a sushi train, I'm one of those people who needs to eat a whole pile of dishes before getting full so I turn to the menu for something a little more satiating. Their a la carte menu is quite small but very reasonable priced, with most items under $7.

My friend orders the prawn tempura udon, which comes in a cute clay pot and is also served with a vegetable tempura, mainly made up of onion slices. Unfortunately, the prawn tempura came already sitting in the broth, making the skin very soggy.

Terriyaki Chicken Don $6.90

 There is no terriyaki chicken sushi on the sushi conveyor so my friend chooses the terriyaki chicken don instead, which she enjoyed. All the rice dishes on the menu also come with a miso soup, so it was pretty good value.

Karrage Chicken Don $6.90

I order the Karrage Chicken Don, freshly fried chicken with a squiggle of mayonnaise-like sauce, served with rice and salad. The chicken deliciously hot and crispy, and I loved the combination of tasty chicken with the tangy sauce. Karrage Chicken is available on the sushi conveyor (from memory, $3.50 dish), but I prefer eating it with rice.

I am a little disappointed that the restaurant doesn't serve Japanese cheesecake like the previous one, and the only dessert option is ice-cream, of which there are three different flavours (green tea,sesame and mango). We decide to head elsewhere for dessert, but I was quite satisfied with our cheap(ish) lunch!


Sushi Wow on Urbanspoon

3 Comments:

Mel said...

I walk past this place every day on my way to the station so I'm glad to see the food is quite good - I was a bit dubious so just kept going to Sushi Bay at Westfield. And UDON in Parramatta...happy dance!

sugarpuffi said...

prawn tempura udon for $6.50 is a bargain! shame about the soggy prawn though

Anna @ The Littlest Anchovy said...

Those golden money bags look so lovely! Thanks for the great review. Now I am craving Japanese :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails