Thursday, February 11, 2010

Almost New Year.....

With the lunar new year coming up, many bloggers have been busy making new year treats. I don't usually bake for special occasions (other than birthdays) because they usually fall within some sort of busy period where I just can't find enough time to bake something and blog about it in time. Thinking I was going to have to miss out on yet another occasion, I resorted to reading about other people's blogs (erm..whilst supposedly studying..hehe), as I usually do anyway, until I came across pineapple cookies/tarts on almost everyone's blogs- which reminded me, that I had actually made them a while ago!!


I'm guessing that these cookies are a Malaysian thing because when I asked my parents about them, they had no idea what they were talking about. To them these are more similar to the chinese pineapple cookies they buy from asian supermarkets (I don't know if they're the same thing???)

I'd made these at the end of last year after reading about it. I chose this recipe and made it one afternoon before I went on holidays to give to my relatives. It was quite a risk, making something I'd never made before as I often fail the first time I try to make anything. But since I don't have a signature dessert or a favourtie recipe or anything, I thought I'd just give it a try. Luckily, they turned out perfect so I was able to box them and take them overseas- my relatives loved them!
When I got back to Australia, I made them again- to take photos (so I could blog about them) and, more importantly because we all wanted to eat them again! Unfortunately, they didn't turn out as good as the first time but still tasted great! me and my sister had a fun time rolling these into balls- whilst my mum had....errrr fun cleaning the burnt bits left on the saucepan after I cooked the pineapples. Oops.

Rolling them is a bit tricky at first but is extremely fun- the dough is very soft due to the large amount of butter which leaves your hand all oily after rolling them, whilst the pineapple filling is extremely sticky. My sister made a few oddly shaped ones- just so that we could tell they were hers! Not surprisingly, they were devoured very quickly- I completely understand the food bloggers obsession with these cookies, and why everyone makes them for new year! I'll definitely be making these again and again and again!
Nastar (Pineapple cookies)


For the pineapple filling:
1 can (440 gr) crushed pineapple, DO NOT drain
150 gr sugar
1/2 - 1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt

1. Dump everything into a medium saucepan. Cook until caramelised, mashing the pineapple gently.
2. Transfer into a bowl and cool. Shape into small balls and place on a baking paper-lined baking tray. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze until needed.

For the cookies:
125 gr butter, chopped, cold
25 gr powdered sugar
1 egg yolk
150 gr plain flour
25 gr cornstarch

1. Mix butter and powdered sugar on medium speed. Do not overmix - we don't want to incorporate too much air.
2. Add yolk and mix well. Sift together flour and cornstarch. Mix on low until combined.
3. Take 10 gr of dough and flatten it. Place one pinapple ball on the center and enclose with the dough. Place on a lined baking tray - cover with plastic wrap if necessary, to prevent the cookies drying out. Repeat until dough is used up. Do NOT brush them with egg wash (recipe follows) prior to baking.
4. Bake in preheated 180 C oven for 10 minutes. Take out and brush with the egg wash. Return to the oven and bake for another 5-10 minutes or until the tops are nicely browned.

Egg wash:
1 egg yolk
1 tsp milk
1 tsp honey

1. Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl. Make sure the honey is dissolved well and the mixture is no longer lumpy.

8 Comments:

Iron Chef Shellie said...

Not you too! Everyone is making pineapple yummies! They look great =)

Christine Ho said...

Pineapple tarts have certain magic to attract people. Love these little treats.
Happy New Year!

grace said...

holy smokes, i would LOVE these! why should pineapple be limited to upside cakes and pina coladas? the juicy fruit isn't used nearly enough, and i think these cookies look perfect. nicely done, von!

panda said...

i haven't had a pineapple tart in ages and i have to say that yours look lovely - they look store bought!!

Julia @Mélanger said...

Oh my gosh, these sounds delicious. I love the sound of caramelised pineapple wrapped around a rich, butter dough. YUMMO! Thanks for sharing.

SteelCityFlan said...

Mmmm, butter :) I didn't know pineapple cookies were a typical thing this time of year...but pineapple is always good in my book!

And yes, I got a new camera, and I love it. It's a D60 and I no longer have to wrestle with a camera to get good lighting ^_^

Rose said...

These cookies look delicious! Ive never heard of these before, but I will keep these in mind next time I feel like baking :)

Rose

MaryMoh said...

Mmmm....my all time favourite. Looks very delicious. I made the pineapple jam but didn't manage to make the pineapple cookies. But a friend gave me some....mmm... delicious. So sweet of her!

Related Posts with Thumbnails