Friday, August 13, 2010

Coconut Macaroons


Last week, after another one of those two hour maths lessons after school (*sigh*), I came home to a pile of books, which had not really been read through much, ready to be studied and memorised within a week or so. Yes- a whole year's worth of school work to be memorised in a week. I'm so glad I did my chemistry exam last year =P

Being the lazy one I am, I really couldn't be bothered starting to study, so naturally, I went to the kitchen instead, where two egg whties were just waiting to be made into delicious coconut macaroons =D I'd been planning to make them for a while now, since I was curious about what they tasted like, and was almost 100% sure my family would love them (we love coconut).

Only to find that I only had about half the jar of coconut left.

(yeah, I keep my coconut flakes in a jar)



I went ahead and halved the recipe, after fumbling around furiously in hope of finding a packet of coconut, knowing there wouldn't be one. It was extremely simple to make, and I had them in the oven in no time! To my disappointment, they didn't end up looking like macaroons- they looked more like meringues- I think it's because of my lack of coconut, and the fact that the coconut was really fine *sigh* But to our surprise it tasted really really good! The outside was crispy (I baked it for almost double the time stated in the recipe though....) and the inside was chewy and so sweet and coconutty! They were happily devoured within minutes =]

And guess what I found in the pantry the next day??? (whilst searching for another ingredient I'd run out of.....) Yep. A whole new packet of coconut flakes ;)

Being the good girl I am, I didn't make more macaroons- I studied =] But I guess a couple of days isn't exactly enough to study a whole year's worth of work, and ended up with me staying up late, cramming for each exam. I almost died when they put two exams on the same day :P

So. I think I might have learnt my lesson not to leave it until the last minute to study for exams. Might.

Coconut Macaroons

2 egg whites
½ tsp vanilla essence
2/3 cup sugar (I'd decrease this by a bit as I found them a bit too sweet)
1 ½ cups flaked coconut

1. Lightly grease a cookie sheet; set aside. In a medium mixing bowl, beat egg whites and vanilla with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold in coconut
2. Drop mixture by rounded spoon 2 inches apart on to the prepared cookie sheet. Bake in a 325 degrees oven about 20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.

26 Comments:

SteelCityFlan said...

Why on EARTH would you study for an exam when you're supposed to? I never do if I can help it. Baking is much more satisfying, and useful =)

Julia @Mélanger said...

I just love coconut macarons. They are simple and delicious. I've not made any for ages now. It's only breakfast time here and now I'm craving something sweet! :)

grub said...

so these are the coconut macaroons you were talking about :D wow!! it looks great :) hehehehe add more coconut next time so it will be more coconutty ;)

MaryMoh said...

Lovely macaroons. Looks light and delicious. I'm sure you will do well in your exam. All the best! You sure need desserts :D

WendyinKK said...

Oh... study hard and I wish you the best in your exams.

BTW, I love the way these macaroons look...

Steph said...

:O these look awesome. Gotta try these after trials :):)

Angie Lives to Eat (and Cook)! said...

Mmmm coconut is soooo good in anything!

OohLookBel said...

I love macaroons, and that they are so easy to make is a bonus. Yours look delicious.

chow and chatter said...

these look great thanks for the kind comment he he your right we learn so much from blogs

Adriana @ Bittersweet Baker said...

I'm pretty bad about doing homework or studying for exams if I've planned to do some baking too. :) Baking is such so much more fun than school work! Your macaroons look great!

Pam said...

I love coconut macaroons and yours look great, especially with being a little crispy. You keep on studying and ace those exams! I'm a new follower and glad to meet you!

ching said...

coco macaroons never looked so good.

i'm following your blog coz i love food and you my dear are a wonderful blogger. :)

thyaudaciousness.blogspot.com/

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Great looking macaroons! Make sure you finish your school work before venturing into the kitchen next time....:)...

TasteHongKong said...

Hi Von,
Another packet of coconut flakes? ... Sounds like the luck is on your side, enjoy again your next Coconut Macaroons and your exam : ).

sensiblecooking said...

Exams and studies I am so glad I am far from those. And me too like you whenever I had books to read would me ransacking the kitchen, u know hungry all the time. Good luck with the exam and the macaroons looks yummy.

tigerfish said...

Now, I may have to memorize when I bake cos I am just at a loss when it comes to baking :O

Javier said...

Muy rica esta receta.
Saludos desde España.

panda said...

i've had so many people ask me what the difference is between a macaron and a macaroon - i am going to show them this post! hope you went well in your exams!

Anna said...

Oh it's so frustrating when that happens in the kitchen! I have a very bad habit of going to the supermarket and leaving my groceries list at home - of course when I get home I realise I've forgotten something... Arghh!

Unknown said...

i haven't tried coconut macarons before...but surely would like to, one fine day :)

sweetlife said...

great macarons, I would love to leave my coconut flakes in a jar, but it is very humid her, gross....sorry abot two exams in one day, soon it will be over

sweetlife

Juliana said...

Von, these coconut macarons look so yummie, so light and yet full of flavor...great pictures!

Anonymous said...

These macaroons are great for tea break. They look lovely!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to your blog! Not sure where to write this ><

Elaine @ Three Wise Pigs said...

These are probably the most fluffy looking macaron I've seen - still looks good though!

Best of luck for your exams :)

grub said...

hey von! guess what? i made these macaroons today and they were SO GOOD! i tweaked your recipe just a bit though with the sugar and oven temp! will be making these again and again :D the photos are on the sidebar widget for now :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails