Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Chinese New Year Snacks ....

I'm back!




So. I realise I've been gone for quite a while now, half because of holidays but mainly because of reasons associated with laziness, but let's not worry about that now :)

Well, since it's a little past chinese new year, and I have so much time on my hands right now before uni, I got a chance to try out a couple of Chinese new year snack recipes! We make these fried pastries almost every year but this is really the first time we've come close to success- perhaps because of the recipe or because of experience. In chinese, they're called 角仔, which litterally translates into 'litle horns' because of their shape but are actually pastries filled with a sweet peanutt-y filling.

I'm pretty terrible at pleating the dough though- mine all turn out more ike a child's first attempt at pleating dumplings than anything (the ones in the photos are probably my mum's ) but it's still fun getting my hands all oily and sugary :)




New Year Crispy Triangles (角仔)
(as named by the chinese cookbook I got the recipe from)

640g flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup lard (I replaced with butter)
125g water

320g fried shelled peanuts (I'm not quite sure what that means- I just used plain peanuts)
80g fried white sesame seeds (we used plain white sesame)
240g white sugar
2 Tbs desiccated coconut
(I doubled this becuase I like coconut)

1. Grind peanut and mix with sesame, sugar and coconut to form filling
2. Sieve flour onto tabletop and make a well in the middle
3. Add eggs and lard and mix. Gradually pour in water, kneading at the same time until a soft dough is formed
4. Cover with damp cloth and set aside for 30 minutes
5. Roll dough out with a rolling pin and cut rounds with a saucer (we used a cup). Wrap in filling and fold edges in a zigzag pattern.
6. Deep fry on low heat until golden brown and the pastries float to the top (about 8-10 minutes although I'm pretty sure ours didn't take that long.....)

16 Comments:

Kristy Sayer-Jones @ Southern In Law said...

These look delicious! I can totally relate to the laziness :P I've been the same way - well, trying to fit in as much laziness as possible between work :P

j3ss kitch3n said...

Von you are finally back!! Happy CNY gal! hope you enjoyed your holidays thoroughly!!

E. said...

Yay!! Welcome back. :D When I saw your comment, I was wondering if you posted something and you did. I'm so happy. I really missed reading your new posts. :) Happy Chinese New Year. It looks so yummy. They are very nicely pleated. Did you discard the leftover oil though? The texture of the triangles in the second picture reminds me of Chinese crullers.

OohLookBel said...

How delicious are those? Too delicious - must look away or else my thighs are going to involunarily put on weight.

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Welcome back, Von! On the contrary, I thought your Kok Chai pleats look really nice. I probably would have done a worse job at it...

grub said...

oo my grandma's friend makes them annually for CNY in Malaysia! i miss these :) can you fedex some over?

MaryMoh said...

Welcome back! Mmmm....these are my favourite...fun to make and nice to eat.

Angie Lives to Eat (and Cook)! said...

They look gorgeous! We're always our own toughest critics in my opinion hehe ;) Happy New Year!

tigerfish said...

Happy Lunar New Year!

We call these Kok Chai :)

PlumLeaf 李葉 said...

Hi! Happy New Year!
Love these "Kok-Chai 角仔" I haven't made these before but mum sometimes does. Try toasting the sesame in a dry frying pan over a gentle heat til they brown and start popping. It gives them a toasty aromatic flavour. Shelled peanuts just means out of the shells. Should be skinned too and toasted for the best flavour too.

A Canadian Foodie said...

VON! Welcome back! Happy New Year! And those little packages are NAUGHTY!!! So delicious and there is nothing good for you in all that high fat... but lots of yum!
I think your pinching looks great!
:)
Valerie

ann low said...

Happy Chinese New Year!! I love Kok-Chai too :)

chow and chatter said...

wow cool waffles fun to pick up foodie things when u travel

Victor said...

These are such a delicious treats!

Thanks for your comment on my guest post on C&C. You sure have some beautiful pics!

Elizabeth J. Neal said...

Hey Friends New Year will come all people are waiting for New Year. All whatsapp users searching for New Year Images to send their friends and close ones. happy new year 2016 shayari

Elizabeth J. Neal said...

So. I realise I've been gone for quite a while now, half because of holidays but mainly because of reasons associated with laziness, but let's not worry about that now :) happy new year 2016 shayari

Related Posts with Thumbnails