Thursday, February 17, 2011

Honeycomb Crisps/Cookies (糖環)

It's only just starting to hit me that the holidays are ending soon, and I might never have this much time to bum around again until the end of the year :( So I've gotten off my lazy butt and started doing the things I had meant to do since I came back from holidays.

Just yesterday, I turned on the oven for the first time since I came back and baked a couple of pots of creme caramel -a recipe which I've made a billion times (but have yet to upload onto this blog) But then I went to watch a movie .......and completely forgot about it until a whole hour later (double the time they should have spent in the oven). Strangely enough, they turned out to be the best batch I've ever made- almost perfectly smooth and silky (perhaps because my electric oven is a lot cooler than my gas one which I usually use?)



So yes, I've officially re-entered baking land and have started going through all those recipes I've bookmarked over the last couple of months (most of which I'd completely forgotten about). Meanwhile, here's another chinese new year snack we made a while ago. I'm not quite sure how to name them but they're basically a sweet coconutty batter (sort of like a pancake batter)deep fried until crispy- and they're terribly addictive too!

To make, these, you need a special mould (like the one in the instructions on this site). I'm not sure whether you can buy them in Australia... We bought ours in Hong Kong- we're buying one or two different moulds everytime we go to there now and are slowly building up our 'special mould' collection :) So I might have a few interesting Asian snacks up on this blog soon!(egg waffles anyone?)




Coconut Sweer Rings (糖環)

140g plain flour
140g cornflour
3 eggs
140g sugar
1 cup each of coconut milk and evaporated milk, mixed


1. Beat the sugar and the ggs until fluffy
2. Add flour and mized milk in batches alternately to the egg mixture. This should be done in 4 additions (beat thoroughly after each addition). Set aside for 1 hour.
3. Heat oil (to deep fry) to meadium heat. Place mould in the oil for a few seconds (until hot) and then remove from oil.
4. Coat mould with flour mixture carefully (dip the mould into the batter)
5. Place the mould in the hot oil. The cooked rings will separate from the mould after frying (we used chopsticks to help them off). Deep fry until golden brown. Drain well and place in an airtight container when cold- they should keep for 1-2 months.
Note: If the oil is too hot, the rings will become brown really quickly and not shape well

29 Comments:

j3ss kitch3n said...

very beautiful!!!

Kristy Sayer-Jones @ Southern In Law said...

These look so cute! and impressive :D

Don't you love when baking disasters actually turn out to be successes?!

WendyinKK said...

Over here, we call these Honeycomb crisps.
A traditional goodie for Chinese New Year.
Yours look very nicely made.

Unknown said...

oh my! these must be goood! i want to try...

OohLookBel said...

These look so good, it would be hard to stop eating them. So it's probably a good thing I don't have a mould to make them :)

grub said...

ooo honeycomb biscuits! my grandma makes and sells these every cny! it's hard work at the woks filled with oil and it's a two person job haha.

thanks for reminding me of my grandma in Malaysia :)

Amy @ cookbookmaniac said...

They are so pretty! I could eat and entire plate of it!

tigerfish said...

They look similar to honeycomb crisps :) ...

ann low said...

I love to eat this but never tried to make it. Looks so delicious!!

Maria said...

I've never tried these, very intrigued!

Viv said...

haha you and your mould collection ;)
welcome back to the baking arena...feels good to be back huh? ive been sorta out of it the past few months too actually.
looking forward to your upcoming asian snacks!

My Little Space said...

Welcome back, Von! Missed you alot. It has been a hectic season eversince the begining of the year after school reopened. It's slowing down this week. Hopefully, I'll have more time to visit all my blogger friends soon. Hey, good that you're making this 'wong fong dao'. It will sure brings in some New Year mood to the house. How's your New Year anyway? Wishing you a Happy Belated Chinese New Year & also a Belated Valentine's Day.
Have a great week ahead.
Cheers, Kristy

sugarpuffi said...

wow i never knew such a delicious dough existed!! man i missed out big time. bake for me? :D

sensiblecooking said...

Von I am addicted to it just looking at the pictures, imagine when I actually make them. They remind be of Jelabe (indian sweet).

A Canadian Foodie said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Von! Fantastic creation! Bravo! These are far too sweet for my palate, and tend to be addictive once one starts - so, I will not be making them. I love to know how, though. I have enough sinful food that is traditional within my own family I cannot resist. I need not start more trends.
:)
Valerie

Zoe said...

Very nostalgic! The crisps look so yummy!

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) said...

I heard someone mention egg waffles...?

Edith said...

one of my favourite CNY goodies. Perhaps next year I shall attempt this.

Juliana said...

Yummie, these honeycomb crisps sure look so good, and so tasty with the coconut milk...nice pictures :-)

foodie and the chef said...

These are so pretty... I'd love to get my hands on one of those moulds you speak of ! :)

grace said...

what a fun and unique form! and coconut! that seals the deal for me--these treats rock.

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

I think I have seen this mold before and have always wondered what to do with it. Thanks for sharing this! So back to school again?

Von said...

Hi Jess! Thankyou!

Hi Kristy! Yes...they make me very happy :)

Hi Wendy! Thanks :) I've changed the title now!

Hi Rita! They are! I'd make them for you...but you're so far away from me!

Hi Bel! That's very true...but after a while, it gets very sweet...

Hi grub! No problem! Yeah, I had to make them with my mum, and even then, it was hard to manage :S

Hi Amy! Thanks! So could I...oh wait, I pretty much did :S

Hi tigerfish! I think they are...so I changed the name of the post too!

Hi Anncoo! You should try making it- it's fun!

Hi Maria! Yeah, I don't think many poeple have- these aren't that common, but they're really good!

Hi Vivienne! haha..yes :) Oh good, that means I haven't missed out on too much!

Hi Kristy! I missed you too! Thanks :) My New Year's been great, especially since I have no school so I can do a lot of things I've never gotten around to doing before...haha

Hi sugarpuffi! haha.... :) Of course!

Hi sensiblecooking! Thanks! My friend was telling me how it was similar to an Indian snack too! Only I think the one she was telling me about was savoury.....

Hi Valerie! haha...yes- they're very sweet!

Hi Zoe!Thanks!

Hi mademoiselle délicieuse! Yup! My mould just arrived back in the mail a couple of weeks ago...now I just need time to try and figure out to make them :)

Hi Edith! You should! They're very very good!

Hi Juliana! Thanks! The coconut milk makes a huge difference :) Or maybe that's just because I like coconut....

Hi foodie and chef! thanks! The moulds are quite interesting- youo'd probably have to go to an asian kitchen appliance store to find them though!

Hi grace! haha...I remember! You like coconut too! :)

Hi Shirley! Glad I've shown you something new! Back to uni this time...:)

Eliza said...

Hi there, I am trying to create this dish/snacks for the upcoming Chinese New Years and one of my problem prevents me to create this snack is the mould. Is it possible for you to tell me where I can find it in canada or provide me a link or the English name for this mould you used for me to find it? Thank you, hope to hear from you :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Remembrance Day Quotes 2017

Veterans Day Deals and Freebies

Happy Veterans Day Slogans

Veterans Day Quotes for Father

Happy Veterans Day Sayings

Veterans Day Quotes Images

Anonymous said...

Best Veterans Day HD Wallpapers

Happy Veterans Day Slogans

Veterans Day Quotes for Father

Happy Veterans Day Sayings

Veterans Day Images, Photos and Pictures for Facebook

Happy Diwali said...

http://forpcguide.com

Ekam Khurana said...

cinemabox hd for pc

Anonymous said...

Buy your items at low rates. Home Mart is an Online store which provide their customers all items at low rates.

Related Posts with Thumbnails