Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Strawberry Milk Jelly



You can always tell a chinese recipe, if it has its ingredients separated in Part A's and B's and C's- even if each part only has one or two ingredients =)

I found this recipe at a rather unusual place- on a chinese video website, which we usually use to watch chinese news. If I translated literally from the chinese name it would become 'strawberry cold milk'- unfortunately they didn't have any english translations, so it took me a while to figure out that this was probably panna cotta (I've never had panna cotta before). EDIT: On second thoughts, this is too firm to be panna cotta- I think it's milk jelly =) Which is why I changed the title

This time, it was my mother who suggested we make this- but it's a good thing she did because it has quickly turned into a family favourite which we've made numerous times. The recipe is really simple, the way my mum likes it- it only takes 5 minutes to prepare. And it tastes really nice too! I think it's because of the simplicity of the flavours - the focus is on the light taste of the strawberries. There's nothing too surprising, but a delicious change from my normal heavier desserts- I could easily gulp down the whole batch of these =D

And so could the rest of my family, in particular, my father who keeps requesting for another batch to be made each time we buy strawberries!

Strawberry Milk Jelly

Part A
160g sugar
15g gelatine powder
150g water

Part B
5-10 strawberries, depending on size
150g milk
150g cream (recipe didn't specify but I used thickened cream)
150g cold water

1. Sprinkle gelatine powder over water (from part A) in a small saucepan; let stand 5 minutes to soften. Add sugar and place over low flame and heat until gelatine powder and sugar dissolves.
2. Puree the strawberries in a blender until smooth (you'd also want sieve it to remove the seeds) and then mix with all the other ingredients in part B.
3. Stir the gelatine mixture into the strawberry mixture. Pour into moulds and chill for at least two hours before inverting onto a plate to serve.

Note: This panna cotta is a lot firmer than what I'd imagined panna cotta to be, so I'm not sure if it's technically a panna cotta- it's sort of like a firm milk jelly. BUT it still tastes delicious =)

17 Comments:

grub said...

uwah! it looks beautiful dead simple to make. another one of your must try recipes...after exams, after exams :D

ann low said...

WOW! beautiful and delicious dessert, I want some ;D

Adriana @ Bittersweet Baker said...

I've never made a panna cotta; my dad is always the one who makes it. Yours look delicious, and I can only imagine how good the strawberry must taste in there!

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Very very nice indeed! Next time try replacing some of the cream with coconut cream and add a few drops of pan dan essence and you have exotic pan dan panna cotta!

Kristy Sayer-Jones @ Southern In Law said...

These look perfect! I've always wanted to make panna cotta, but for some reason i've yet to try it!

Esther said...

I love the color and shininess. It looks so good. Lol, your statement about Chinese recipes is true. For me though, I sometimes just type up recipes "Chinese style" to save time. Btw, for the cream, what type of cream did you use :whipping cream, heavy cream, etc. ? Thank you.

grace said...

what a gorgeous dessert, von! my goodness, it's the most beautiful panna cotta ever, from the lovely hue to the nifty little spattering of seeds. me likey. :)

panda said...

hahah, recipes that state part a), part b) part c) are no doubt always chinese recipes. I actually have a few of them!
loving the look of this panna cotta. am bookmarking it to make this weekend :)

WendyinKK said...

The seeds actually looked nice to me.
Hmm, would mixing the strawberry puree with the gelatine mixture before adding the milk and cream be better? In my opinion, adding strawberry puree directly to the milk and cream might cause curdling, which might impart a coarse mouthfeel to the panna cotta. The gelatin mixture has an emulsifying effect that might prevent curdling, because I see some curds in the "jelly". This is just my personal opinion.

Anonymous said...

Panna Cotta is such a beautiful dessert! Love your strawberry version.

Anna said...

Lovely colour. The texture is tricky to achieve, isn't it!

By the way, I'm still waiting on your postal address so I can send you your giveaway prize :) Can you please email me at diaryofaladybird@gmail.com? Thanks x

Honey @ honeyandsoy said...

How pretty!!! I absolutely love that shade of pink! And I laughed at the chinese-recipes-come-in-parts thing. So true! I can't read Chinese but my pandan cake recipe comes in As, Bs and Cs, which I found odd. So the panna cotta didn't have the usual wobble?

Angie Lives to Eat (and Cook)! said...

Sounds like a great dessert for the warming weather - perhaps it's just a milk jelly? Which is still just as good =)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

A pretty and elegant desert! I will definitely give thus recipe a try, especially since I have done strawberries and cream in my fridge now. :)

Nuddle said...

I'm trying to make this at home RIGHT NOW! :DDD About how long do these last in the fridge? o:

Von said...

Hi Nuddle! Yay! I don't really know because we usually finish them in one or two days- I think the longest we've left them in the fridge was a week, and they were still fine :)

Sue R said...

I'm bookmarking this and will try with raspberries and blackcurrants, didnt find your recipe till our early strawberries finished. Will let you know - it looks beautiful

Related Posts with Thumbnails