Monday, November 1, 2010

Thai chicken pizza

'You give what you want not what you don't want'

These were the words of my best friend in year 4, when I gave her a little gift. It was a bag of bright pink 'magic' sand with which we'd been playing with a couple days before- I could tell she really liked it. I casually remarked 'Oh, I didn't want it anymore' not because I actually didn't want it, but I don't know about you, but I feel bad when someone gives me something they really like. I didn't really think about how it would make it feel like accepting someone else's rubbish =S

These same words ran through my head, as my mother rummaged through our pantry to find packets of lollies and chocolate to hand out to the little trick-or-treating kids. We found many packets of opened chocolates and lollies, even more packets of unopened chocolates, easter eggs (hehe..at least they were from this year's easter?) and loads and loads of expired confectionary which filled our bins pretty quickly. (only the perfect, unopened, unexpired ones went to the little kiddies, I assure you) I don't think our pantry has had quite a clean out since last halloween!

We ended up getting two knocks on our door- the most we've ever had :) I guess halloween is getting more popular now- I was delighted when I saw one of our neighbours decorated their house, if only for one night, with fake spiderwebs and pumpkins!



Unfortunately, I was stuck at home, bored, studying cramming for legal studies exam today. On a brighter note, I only have one more exam to go! Yay!

I'm rather proud of myself for not blogging for *gasp* two weeks (okayokay....so maybe I've done so before, but not during an exam period!). But of course, I couldn't resist staying away from the kitchen. So on the one day my parents were out, I snuck into the kitchen to make pizza!

I've never had a non tomato sauce based pizza before, so I did find this slightly weird at first. I only used the recipe for the base and the sauce and then I topped it with some left overs and whatever else I could find in the fridge which didn't take too long to chop up ;P I absolutely loved the sauce- it was so addictive that I had only intended to eat half the pizza but then accidently gulped the whole thing down.....hehe =)



Anyways, shall go back to studying now :) I finish exams on Thursday (yay!) so (maybe) watch out for even yummier things here in the near future!!


Thai Chicken Pizza
Adapted from allrecipes

1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil

3 1/2 tablespoons peanut butter
3 tablespoons rice vinegar (I'd probably decrease to 1-2 tablesoons as I found it too sour for my tastes)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons chili oil
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
2 teaspoons honey

1 boneless chicken breast half, cooked and sliced into thin strips
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
1 tablespoon paprika
1 small fresh red chile pepper, finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
4 green onions, sliced
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1 carrot, peeled and grated
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1.Pour warm water into a small bowl; stir in honey until dissolved. Add the yeast, stirring until dissolved. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
2.In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt. Add yeast mixture and olive oil; stir well to combine. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead in more flour until the dough is no longer sticky. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
3.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
4.Punch down the risen dough on a floured surface. Divide into two equal portions. Allow the dough to relax for a minute, then roll each portion out into a thin circle. Place on lightly oiled pizza pans.
5.To make the peanut sauce, place peanut butter, rice vinegar, and soy sauce in a blender. Add chili oil, ginger, and honey; process until smooth.
6.In a medium bowl, combine the chicken, sesame seeds, paprika, chile peppers, salt, and 3 tablespoons of the peanut sauce. Mix until the chicken is evenly coated. Spread the remaining peanut sauce evenly over pizza dough. Top with chicken, green onions, and cheese.
7.Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned. Garnish with carrots and cilantro.

18 Comments:

Esther said...

Aww, that was so sweet of you, to give your friend something that you really liked. Are you still friends now?

That sounds like a lot of candy! Only two knocks on your door? That is so less. At the states, many people walk around and ask for candy. In fact, as I was in the car today, so many people were crossing the street.

Your pizza looks soooo good. Everything you make looks so good. I recently made your pound cake and It was reallly yummy. I'm going to post a post about it soon, as soon as i get the pictures for it.

Good luck on your exam! You can do it! It'll be Thursday before you know it. And I can totally understand you eating a whole pizza. haha. today I made some baked nian gao and ate around 1/4 of it or more, eeks. It was baked in a 9x13 pan too.

Good Luck!!

Mel said...

Good luck with your final exam - how exciting! It's nearly 20 years ago since I did my final legal studies exam...geez, I'm OLD! Love the pizza...I wouldn't make the base (too hard for me), but the sauce and topping sound great!

Kristy Sayer-Jones @ Southern In Law said...

Von this looks so good!!
Good luck with your last exam :D:D
We had SO many trick or treaters at our house that we ran out of candy. Usually we get about 30 kids, max but by 6pm we had already seen around 100.
They were coming in HUGE groups with their mummies and daddies tagging along behind :P

ching said...

wow that pizza is just calling out to me. :D

Steph said...

Ohh was the pink sand like the one that doesn't get wet? I remember having a packet when I was younger too :) I still don't understand how it doesn't get wet though LOL :\

My sister made pizzas the other week but they were tomato based ones xD This one looks awesome though :D Must try to make a non-tomato base pizza :)

I hope your legal exam was okay! and good luck for physics :)

chocolatesuze said...

yum i love non tomato based pizzas! all the best with your exams dude!

grub said...

thai pizza sounds so yum! i once made Japanese curry pizza, teriyaki chicken pizza and "breakfast" pizza. strange but was good! will try yours one day :)

this year we only had one group of three trick or treaters, i tried to give them more candy but i think they got scared XD

good luck with your final exams! i still have 4 more to go D:

ann low said...

Chicken pizza in Thai flavor? Sounds great and yummy.
Good luck with your last exam :))

grace said...

interesting and unique pie of pizza, von! i love that there are so many ways to change up a pizza. good luck on the home-stretch of your exams!

Viv said...

yay no long to go now before end of exams!
ive been making a lot of pizza lately as well...and yes like you, i intended having half but the other half just makes its way down my stomache without any problems...hehe
you need lotsa food for the brain..so its okay :)

Faith said...

Your pizza looks divine! I love pizza with chicken topping. Good luck on your exam.

A Canadian Foodie said...

That sauce recipe is so ODD for a pizza but it would be absolutely divine. I love that you stretched yourself there. I am definitely recording this one, too. YUM! But, really - how do you have the time and energy to cook such nutritious food in the middle of exam time. Bravo to you, Von!
:)
Valerie ( a member of the "V" club!)

Adriana said...

Good luck with your last exam! Thai pizza sounds delicious- I had a pizza without tomato sauce not long ago, and though it was definitely different, it was so good.

Cooking Gallery said...

The chicken pizza looks fantastic...! And hey, your exams are over by now, have fun and enjoy your time :)!

tigerfish said...

Your Thai chicken pizza looks very delicious! I know you are giving us what you like :) yummy!

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

You should have finished your exams by now :). The saying about not giving people what you don't want originates from an old chinese saying- very true. I live by it. You do not bestow onto others what you don't wish for yourself. It goes beyond just material stuff. You are really pro at pizzas!

MaryMoh said...

Thanks for dropping by while I'm away. Trust your exam's going on very well. Your pizza looks most mouth-watering. I'll be tempted to eat the whole piece, too :D

marla said...

This pizza would be perfect for the appetizer portion of the Get Grillin' event I am hosting with Cookin' Canuck. Please submit this and any two others if you wish :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails