Thursday, May 26, 2011

Mini Sable Viennois



If there’s one thing I’ve learnt from my cooking/baking adventures this year, it would be that I am still a very bad multi-tasker. To make up for the weekends where I don’t bake anything as a result of an assignment/test, or because we’ve run out of milk or eggs or some other important ingredient, I usually end up making many things in one day.

Most of the time, it ends up in disaster.

I attempted to make these cookies following a cookie craving, thanks to Shirley's beautiful pictures and delicious description of these :) I've never actually made cookies like these before, because I'd always known they would have a really high butter content- I generally avoid recipes with a lot of butter ;) But these looked too good not to make, and they were quick too so I made them....whilst I was making lunch.

It should have only taken me a couple of minutes to whip up and bake- but being the cookie noob I am, I didn't realise that the mixture would be too thick to pipe through a plastic bag (I don't have a proper piping bag...) and so, of course, the mixture broke the bag before it got through the nozzle. I also forgot that I didn't have a big nozzle, so I ended up making mini cookies with my cookie press but gave up quickly because rolling them into balls was so much faster :)

In the end, I accidentally left these in the oven too long as I was trying making lunch whilst they were baking. Then I forgot to add flavouring to my lunch, so I ended up with the blandest noodle omlette ....woops? :D But the cookies were so good! They were light and crispy just as I'd imagined them to be. The recipe doesn't make a very big batch, and I found it pretty difficult not the to eat the whole batch up in one go ;) Next time, I'll definitely doubling the recipe!


Pierre Herme's Sable Viennois
from directly from Kokken69

95g Unsalted Butter
1g Fleur de Sel
1/8 tsp Vanilla paste (the recipe originally asked for 2-3 pinches of Vanilla powder)
40g Powdered Sugar
15g Egg White
115g All purpose flour

1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk unsalte butter with Fleur de Sel until creamy.
3. Add in powdered sugar and whisk until homogenous and creamy.
4. Add in egg white. (The mixture may curdle a little but it will smoothen out after flour is added)
5. Add in flour and mix until well combined.
6. Scoop batter into a piping bag fitted with a star tip. Pipe circles/wreaths on a lined baking tray.
7. Bake at 180C for 10 -12 mins or until golden brown.
8. Cool down and store in air tight container.

26 Comments:

grub said...

despite being a little bit burnt, i think they still look quite good :D it's so hard to find time to cook/bake anything, good thing holidays are coming up!

btw your noodle omelette sounds yum :)

Coraine said...

Whoah these cookies still looked good!!! I need to try making cookies which are piped too!

hey actually i think u r a great multi-tasker!!

נєαи said...

Wow they look so yummy!

Lynn said...

I definitely know what you mean about the whole multitasking thing. I am awful at it! But your cookies look delicious!

Viv said...

they look so fine and dainty! how cute ;) like you, i also avoid baked goods with high butter contents...unless i see something i JUST have to make :)

OohLookBel said...

These look delicious, and nice job with the piping!

muppy said...

haha, they look so cute, generally i am a good multi tasker but somedays everything just ends up a disaster

tigerfish said...

Well, at least the cookies were good even though the noodle omelette was bland. It ended well ;P

Maria said...

They look so pretty!

Anna said...

Mmm they look perfect! :)

Janine said...

Anything by Pierre Herme must be awesome, and your sables looks really good - I think the extra time in the oven gives them the nice brown hue that I love in my cookies :)

chow and chatter said...

I have always wanted to try these too look great hows the course going?
Rebecca

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Hey, Von- I don't know how you did it without the piping bag but these look so beautifully shaped! So eat too much ;D ! ( thanks for the mention)

E. said...

lol, Multitasking makes me stressed out. The thing I hate about butter cookies is that you can easily burn them. :( I did the same thing to mine too before, except they weren't eatable at all after... such a waste. Also, once my dough was too hard because I didn't let the butter soften enough so I just had to roll the dough into balls. :D Have a great week!

marla said...

Piped cookies are so pretty, bet these were awesome!

Anonymous said...

Hi Von,
This is lovely and Im sure its delicious.I read your post and i really enjoyed it!I wonder how young are you..and did you bake that cake? the one on your profile photo? that looks so pretty and delicious.

Carol @ There's Always Thyme to Cook said...

They look so good! and I'm laughing because I bake the same way, and in the end, it comes out good! High-stress baking? LOL!

Quay Po Cooks said...

I like the look of your cookies. I am sure it taste as good as it looks. They do not look burnt to me. I have never tried piping cookie dough. Thanks for the idea.

Pam said...

It doesn't matter if they are a bit over cooked if they are still delicious. They are cute too!

Two fit and fun gals said...

they look so cute!

Dumpling Girl said...

They look beautiful and more importantly delicious :)

Sweet Lily said...

Delightful, yummy!
I love it very much!!

shaz said...

Oooh, they are so cute as mini-versions. And they don't look burnt at all. Glad to see you being able to take baking breaks :)

Julie said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! These look so delicious!

Zoe said...

They are so beautifully piped! The designs on these beauties are so well-defined!

Juliana said...

Wow, these little treats look delicious and SO SO cute :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails