Sunday, November 7, 2010

Freedom.....tastes even better than this tart!



I'm free I'm free I'm free I'm free!!!!

As some of you have already figured out, I've finished my HSC (on Thursday, to be exact)! Unfortunately, I've only been able to write up this post becasue I've been:

1. busy celebrating :) Although in my world, celebrating involves lots of sleep, baking and relaxing...
2. busy de-cluttering my life of study related things- which involves throwing out lots and lots of paper and trying to somehow organise the leftovers for my sister incase she ever needs it.
3. too lazy to type out the recipe below :)



Unfortunately, the exams didn't quite end as spectacularly as I'd hoped.....I don't remember much about the exam itself, as I was too busy looking forward to after the exam. But I did finish the exam busting to go to the toilet, so much so that I couldn't hold it in any longer and had to rush out whilst the exam supervisors were collecting the papers :S If I ever do a three hour long exam again, I'll remember not to bring in my drink bottle, or drink much water beforehand.....

But it is still the end, and I couldn't really be happier that the exams are finally over! Waking up and realising that I don't need to study today is really one of the best feeling. Ever.

I don't think I've completely gotten out of study mode yet- it feels a little weird to not have to cram some useless information into my head everyday. Even my parents think I'm going to study, whenever I make my way to my table, only to realise that don't need to anymore!



The first thing I did when I got home after the exam (after pigging out during lunch), was to grab the mixing bowl and electric mixer and start making my favourite pound cake. It was great to once again hear the familiar sound of the electric beater whirring and scraping the plastic bowl and smell the delicious scents of butter and egg wafting out of the oven! I do really really love baking =)

Which is why I couldn't resist making this decadent chocolate tart during the exam period- the perfect way to make countless hours of boring studying slightly better =) I've wanted to make a chocolate tart for a while now, but this recipe really caught my attention because of the layer of light sponge cake, underneath the rich chocolate truffle filling. Don't you just love it how Asians find a way to put a piece of sponge cake in almost any dessert??

The tart comprises of four main components- the pastry, the sponge, the truffle filling and the chocolate glaze. I thought it was weird how the glaze had less glucose than the filling (since glucose is supposed to make it shiny?) and found that the filling and the glaze were pretty much the same thing and so they sort of became one layer. My filling also wasn't as soft and shiny as that in the book, which I suspect may have something to with the fact that I used thickened cream???

But the taste of the tart exceeded all expectations, and we instantly fell in love the with smooth chocolate filling, coupled with the light, chocolate sponge and delicious chocolate tart pastry. This recipe's definitely a keeper- it's not too hard to guess what I'll be making in these next few weeks!!



Chocolate Truffle Tart
From Dessert for You by Rachel Yau

Cocoa Sponge Base
75g eggs (around 1 and a hlaf eggs)
35g sugar
50g cake flour
45g butter
30g milk
10g cocoa

1. Preheat oven to 180C. Sieve flour and cocoa together.
2. Healt the milk and add butter. Stir until it melts
3. Beat the eggs with an electric mixer until foamy. Add sugar and beat until pale and thick.
4. Sieve in flour and cocoa. Fold in without disturbing the bubbles too much. Add the butter and milk mixture from step 2 and stir gently until well mixed
5. Pour in the batter into a baking tray. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Turn the cake out while still hot. Leave it to cool.

Cocoa Pie crust (pastry)
100g flour
20g cocoa
60g butter
1/2 egg (beaten)
30g sugar

1. In a bowl, rub flour, cocoa, butter and sugar with your fingertips until crumbly.
2. Add beaten egg and knead well (I had to add a few drops of milk so that the dough would come together. Wrap the dough in cling wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
3. line the counter with cling wrap. Place the chilled dough over the cling wrap. Place anothing cling wrap on the dough. Roll it out until 1cm thick.
4. Place the rolled dough into the 8 inch round mould. Make sure the crusts go all the way up the vertical sides of the mould. Trim off the excess above the rim. Pierce all over with a fork. Line the crust with baking paper and fill with baking beans.
5. Blind bake the crust at 180C for 10 minutes. Remove the baking paper and baking beans. Bake for 10 minute more. Leave to cool to room temperature.

Chocolate Truffle Filling
100g dark chocolate
115ml whipping cream
40g butter
11g liquid glucose
15ml rum (I omitted this)

1. Chop the chocolate up.
2. Heat the whipping cream until tit bubbles gently then add chopped chocolate, rum and glucose. Stir until they melt. Leave to cool.

Chocolate Glaze
100g dark chocolate
40ml milk
3.5g liquid glucose
3.5g butter

Boil the milk gently and stir in the chocolate until it melts. Add glucose and butter. Stir well and turn off the heat.

To Assemble
1. Brush the inside of the pastry with melted chocolate. Put in the chocolate sponge base. Spread the chocolate truffle filling over the sponge. Refrigerate until set.
2. Pour the chocolate glaze on top and spread evenly. Sprinkle cocoa powder and garnish.

26 Comments:

grub said...

congrats for getting high school over and done with (i guess my cousin in done too XD)! i finish on the 15th ^^

your tart looks yum! and it's interesting how you added the sponge layer to contrast the texture of the crunchy base with a soft filling :)

teenagefoodie said...

Congratulations for finishing!!!!
I can't wait for the feeling, 4 more days =]
That tart looks stunning, very very professional! Can't wait to see what else you've baked.

chocolatesuze said...

woohoo congrats on your freedom dude! that tart looks fabulous!

Viv said...

yay!! it's allll over! :) def the best feeling...
i'm like you as well...celebrating = sleeping + baking hehe. and loads of eating of course! :)
enjoy your freeedom girl! oh and the tart...wow!

SteelCityFlan said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so glad you're baaaaack! And you sound so happy that it's all over n_n

Can I just say this looks delicious? I'm trying to think of occasions that would give me an excuse to make it :P Great job on this tart and welcome back!

Lynn said...

Wait, really? You're done already! So lucky, I just started school!!!
Your tart looks amazing! So decadent and delicious!

Kristy Sayer-Jones @ Southern In Law said...

yayyyyyyy! Congratulations!!! I told you it was good to be freee :P

I have filled my recycling bin four times over with papers AND i'm still not done >.>

This tart looks amazing, the filling looks super rich and smooth.

OohLookBel said...

AMaaazing tart! The truffle layer, especially.
And congrats on finishing the HSC (you should get rid of all your books and papers cos you'll probably never use them again!).

WendyinKK said...

I used to feel that way too, on the last day of my exams. That was so so long ago, LOL.

I love the way you described the tart, makes me want to make it too, but I've ran out of dark chocolate now, wait til I get some :)

Unknown said...

ohh this is perfect to celebrate your freedom :D

Angie Lives to Eat (and Cook)! said...

Congrats on surviving the HSC! Life only gets harder from here on in =p Nah, they really do put too much pressure on the HSC.

The truffle tart looks so scrumptious! I love the addition of the sponge layer.

panda said...

congrats on getting through your exams! yip yip hooray!

Maria @ Scandi Foodie said...

Congratulations! This tart is a great way to celebrate!

Two fit and fun gals said...

congrats sweetie!!

i remember the feeling, its like a huge weight lifted off your shoulders :D

yum this tart looks great i hope to see more posts from you now missy =p

Juliana said...

First, congratulations on your exams...and this cake looks awesome, very tempting...if only I could have a small slice of it...yummie!

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Ah... High school - that was so long ago. Enjoy the freedom before you move on. The chocolate tart is divine! Love all the photos!

Christine Ho said...

Congrats!
This dessert was really good for celebrations!

tigerfish said...

Yay! Exam's over. Fun and food is in!
Lovely tart! :)

Esther said...

Congratulations about finishing your exams! I'm glad you're done with them. The tart looks exquisite. Love how you described the layers. What a complicated tart! They remind me of Porto's Bakery's fruit tarts. Their tarts have sponge cake and pastry cream with fruit on top and a butter pastry shell. Yours is like the chocolate version without fruit. :) And I wonder how these will turn out like if you made them into little tarts like egg tarts.

Also, I made your pound cake and it was really good! I'm going to post a post about it soon, I just need to get the picture from the camera that I borrowed. Thanks for that amazing recipe.

Michigan Food Blog said...

congrats on learning how to write a message! lol..that tart is very lux looking...yum

grace said...

i'm glad you made it through your testing--had you not survived, i never would've seen this decadent and lovely tart! :)

sensiblecooking said...

That is the best freedom ever. After exam oh I miss those days. Not the exams. But the tart looks as good as freedom itself.

My Little Space said...

I know exactly how you felt. What a relief, isn't it! And you're pampering yourself with such a luscious treat. It looks absolutely divine. Can't wait to make one soon. Thanks for sharing and hope you're enjoying your day.
Cheers, Kristy

A Canadian Foodie said...

Deadly looking celebratory tart! YUM! And, how do you know your exams didn't go as well as expected... going to the bathroom threw you off? I doubt it. I am sure you did a BANG up job. When do you get your results? In the meantime, I wished you lived closer. I would love to reap the benefits of your celebratory tart! It looks so perfect. I am constantly amazed by what you do!
:)
Valerie

Emma @CakeMistress said...

Super congratulations on finishing your exams! What a relief :) How great does it feel to get rid of all your notes and books?
What a beautiful tart to celebrate all your hard work.

Hearty Bakes said...

Hooray! Tho I'm not the one taking exam but I shared the same joy upon the last paper my boy took. Definitely,worth celebrating for all the effort in this happy occasion! More so, with such a mouth-watering tart,yum!

Related Posts with Thumbnails